Thursday, September 15, 2005

G'day (don't think there is an equivalent for evening!)

We got to sleep in to the luxurious time of 6:30 am today, then headed out for a brekkie pie and coffee, and down to the Reef Fleet wharf for our Reef Magic day on the Great Barrier Reef. Took about 90 minutes to get out there, and on the way we had briefings on snorkeling, diving, helicopter rides and a chat from a marine biologist. Because we're YHA members, we got either a free introductory dive ($80) or a guided snorkel ($25), so we both went for the dive. We had a divemaster named Evan, from New Brunswick, who was incredibly patient. We got fitted with all our gear, which was strange enough, never mind trying to breath underwater! There were only 4 of us with Evan. Drew got down first, no problem. Yeah, then it was my turn. I did not too bad getting down, but felt a bit of claustrophobia set in, so I gave the 'tumbs up' and Evan took me back up. I really wasn't sure about this! Meanwhile, Drew was on the bottom all by himself. He took the next gal down, while I stayed above and 'practiced'. Her husband kept telling me I was doing great! Meanwhile, Drew was about 20 feet below us, and blowing bubbles!! Evan took me down last, and it took awhile, but I did it! Once I was down and linked up with the 4 others, I was ok. Except for the 'breathy thingy' pulling out whenever Evan moved. But I managed.

Let me tell you, every photo you've seen of the GBR does NOT do it justice! As soon as we were down, this BIG Maoiry Wasse named Wally was playing with us. He was the size of a small sofa! Drew said Wally was circling him the whole time he was down there by himself. Wally must hang around there for a reason (like for FOOD at 12:30!). He was really playful, and would swim under you so that you could pet him. Fascinating! There were millions of other fish, too, whose names I could never remember. And the coral! Every size, shape and colour imaginable. Hard stuff. Soft stuff. Spongy stuff. Purple feathery stuff. It was like swimming in an aquarium, except the fish were BIG! Actually, there were a couple of Wally's (I don't think we were supposed to know that). We swam around for about 1/2 hr, and then we were done! Evan kept checking to see if I was OK, and I was definitely OK once I was down there with everyone else. Drew and I both agreed it was amazing, but probably not an activity we would persue at home.

Then we had lunch. Mmmmm, food. It's amazing how much concentrating like that made me hungry. Well, maybe not... I'm always up for food!

We went snorkeling on our own after lunch, and then at 2pm, we joined a guided snorkel for about an hour with a biologist. Problem is, when your head is underwater, it's really hard to hear what she is saying! Everyone jumped off the boat... except me. I DO NOT jump into water, just one of those freaky things for me. So I made a most gracious entrance by sliding off the side, pulling myself around on a rope, and banging into the side of the boat... with about 10 people saying 'are you ok?'. Yeah, I'm fine. I just don't jump.

I liked the snorkeling much better, being able to float at my own pace and look at what I felt like. More amazing fish, like these beautiful parrot fish that chomp on the coral. You can hear them! Crunch, crunch, crunch.

So Randy, I think you need to sell everything you own and move to Cairns and lead introductory dives! Evan says if you get a company to sponsor you, they'll pay for your course. What a job, eh???

We got back around 5, and made our way back to the hostel, with a slight detour to a jeweler who made his own settings for opals. Very organic jewelery, much nicer than the mass produced stuff. I convinced Drew to get me a pendant that matches my lovely earrings (from 2 christmases ago), and would fit quite nicely on any gold chain he may or may not have purchased for me in Dubai!

Got back to the hostel, had a swim, had a nap, grabbed a bite, then headed out. Today I got a suba diver charm, and a map of Queensland. I'm up to 17 charms on my bracelet!

Tomorrow we're going to the Atherton Tablelands, and I have no idea what to expect!

Ciao,
Marie

No comments: